We are coming up to Easter and it’s time for a little reminder about the dangers of chocolate.

Is chocolate really toxic to our pets? 

Yes! Chocolate really is toxic to our pets. Your pets eating chocolate can result in serious illness and in rare cases it can be fatal. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. Theobromine is similar to Caffeine. They can cause an increased heart rate, muscle spasms, irritate the gastrointestinal system and are diuretic.  People can metabolise theobromine and caffeine a lot better than pets, which makes them far more sensitive to their chemical effects.


Symptoms of chocolate toxicity: 

The clinical signs of chocolate toxicity depend on how much chocolate your pet has ingested. The most common signs of chocolate toxicity are:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • excessive urination, panting
  • restlessness, increased thirst
  • increased body temperature
  • increased reflex responses i.e. more jumpy / skittish
  • racing heart rate.


In serious cases you can see:

  • muscle tremors
  • seizures
  • heart failure.

The clinical signs of chocolate toxicity can take 1-4 hours to develop and can last for days.

What if my pet eats chocolate?

Dogs LOVE the taste of chocolate! Cats are not as keen but some may still eat it. Make sure that you keep all chocolate out of reach of your pets and be sure to supervise where kids keep their special ‘stashes’ from the Easter bunny so that pets are not able to get hold of them.

If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate over this Easter weekend ensure you contact an emergency clinic for advice. If you know your pet has eaten a lot of chocolate, take them immediately to an emergency clinic for medical treatment.

Who should I contact?

If you need advice or your pet needs medical attention over the holidays please contact the closest Emergency Centre:

Stafford Heights: 

Pet Emergency: (07) 3359 5333

Open: 24 Hours


North Lakes: 

Pet Emergency: (07) 3384 2222

Open: 24 Hours


Albany Creek: 

BVECCS: (07) 3264 9400

Open: 6pm – 8am Mon -Fri

24 Hours ( Weekends & Public Holidays)


If you would like to know what you can feed your pet for a treat over Easter, have a read here: http://www.healthypetmobilevet.com.au/easter-treat/

If you would like any additional info, please give us a call on 0481 527 678 or email vet@healthypetmobilevet.com.au.