It is now Christmas week and as everyone gets ready for their Christmas breakfasts, lunches and dinners we wanted to remind you about what your pets can and can’t eat.
If your pets get alcohol it can result in seizures, low blood sugar and intoxication. We know you won’t be pouring Fluffy a glass of sherry, but do remember it’s included in so many festive food recipes that a ‘little taste of dessert’ may have alcohol in it too!
Ingestion of avocado can cause stomach upsets and kidney issues.
Chocolate causes stomach upsets, vomiting and diarrhea. Large amounts can cause seizures, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding and even a heart attack.
Caffeine can cause, restlessness, elevated heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hyperthermia, collapse seizures and in serious cases can result in death. The same priciple applies here as with alcohol – it may be in sauces or desserts too.
Citrus fruits can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Coconut / coconut oil:
Coconut is non-toxic but can cause gastrointestinal upset and bloating.
Grapes and raisins:
If your pet eats grapes or raisins it can cause diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, decreased urination, weakness, abdominal pain and in serious cases when untreated can result in death.
If your pet eats macadamia nuts signs usually develop 12 hours after ingestion these signs include, weakness, inability to walk, vomiting, depression, tremors, staggering gait, hyperthermia.
Milk and dairy:
Your pets can suffer from lactose intolerance which can result in diarrhea and vomiting.
Onions, garlic and chives:
If Your pet consumes onions, garlic or chives can lead to anaemia, gastroenteritis, nausea, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
The ingestion of large amounts of salt can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive thirst and urination, potential harm to kidneys, tremors and seizures.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute and is very toxic in dogs and cats. Xylitol if consumed can cause liver failure, low blood sugar, seizures and can even cause death.
Ingestion of fat can lead to pancreatitis – even a small snippet is enough to cause this in older pets that are especially prone.
If your pet consumes any of the above food’s, please contact your nearest emergency hospital asap.
So, although your pet may be sitting there wagging its tail and licking its lips, be sure not to share any of your food with them this Christmas season. You don’t want your Christmas to be side tracked by your pet needing to be rushed to emergency!
What can I feed my pet?
Although you may not be allowed to feed your pets some of the tasty treats we can eat there are lots of food and yummy treats you can feed them in small amounts.
- Peanut butter: great in a Kong! Just make sure the ingredient xylitol is not in it.
- Yogurt – natural Greek yogurt.
- Lean proteins (lean chicken, turkey and beef)
- Pumpkin and sweet potatoes
- Apples, bananas
- Peas and green beans
These are just some of the tasty foods your pet can enjoy this Christmas season, get creative with some enrichment toys and create them a yummy Christmas surprise. Have a read of our Enrichment post for some ideas!
From us here at Healthy Pet Mobile Vet we wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
We will be closed from the 22nd of December till the 3rd of January.